Monday, September 10, 2012

In the Bush...

This weekend we went out to what we’d call in America a ranch.  It was about 1000 acres of hilly countryside with about 200 head of cattle roaming free. 

It was amazing. 

I haven’t seen so many stars in who knows how long.  We saw the Milky Way and the Southern Cross and about a zillion others. 

We stayed in a traditional Australian tin hut, ate lamb roasted on the fire and went to bed when the fire went out, because there weren’t any other lights.  We slept in swags.  We rode horses during the day and I learned that I know almost nothing about horses!  Matt always tells me if someone asks you how much experience you have on a horse; you say you are an expert.  This is because 4 years ago on a trip to Ireland, we did a horse tour and they asked me this.  I was honest and said I had ridden but was not that experienced.  They told us that we couldn’t take the horses on the beach part of the tour since I wasn’t advanced enough.  Matt has never quite forgiven me for robbing him of that experience.  Well, the horses this weekend were no tour-horse so I wasn’t going to risk my skull and lie, but we had fun anyway. 

This was likely due to the fact that there weren’t any beaches nearby. 




Matt had fun acting like a cowboy – corralling the lil doggies (steer), learning to crack a whip (literally) and just being grubby for 2 days.  My favorite part was sitting around the campfire, chatting with friends and driving around the property in the back of a ute (utility vehicle) at about 45 degree angled hills – holding on for dear life. 

Oooh, I love a good adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment