Sunday, September 16, 2012

Four Things...

Today I am feeling particularly antsy to go home.  Everything, it seems makes me think of home, or Philadelphia, or my friends – even my work space at home!  Matt and I have been indulging these moments of home-longing-ness and we egg each other on, saying things like, “what are you going to do when you get home?”  “what do you miss the most?” etc.  It’s hard to explain how living itinerantly affects your well-being.  There is certainly an overarching sense of adventure at first, then moments of missing something/someone, but then it starts to creep up on you that you are desperately in need of the normalcy and routine that home brings with it.

Sometimes we feel bratty because duh, we’re in Australia for FREE!  And we are so very grateful for that, and always will be, but to pretend we aren’t starting to miss home would be a lie!  So I’ve compiled a few things that we keep talking about when we long for home!

South Philly Taproom – this place is funny to us, because it is likely the #1 hipster hangout in S. Philly and that is certainly not our scene.  We went once on a whim and had this amazing grilled cheese and tomato soup that we have craved like wildebeests since we left Philly.  It is the best grilled cheese maybe ever and I generally hate tomato soup, but this one is enough to make you divorce all other soups for life.


Baths! – don’t freak out, we shower in Australia, but our service apartment doesn’t have a bathtub.  Matt is a huge bath fan.  Picture we’re late for some event and he runs up to get ready, I say hurry, we have 15 minutes and the next thing I hear is bathwater running!?! Wha the?

Projects – Right now, when I get home from work and Matt from volunteering, we might go for a walk, a run or go to dinner.  But if we are in for the night – we only have two options: TV or reading.  There are no projects because there is no stuff, and there is no stuff because there isn’t any room and we can’t bring back too much.  I am longing to work on projects whether throughout the house or to create something that I have an idea for

Doing nothing – we keep coming back to this because the time here has been so wonderful but also so jam-packed.  This is due entirely to my insanity.  I make sure we have something worthwhile to do every weekend, and most of our weeknights.  I just can’t bear to have any time wasted in Australia.  What if we never come back?  It took me 16 years to get back to China and there is no reason to come back here that we can foresee, so I need to DO IT ALL!  As our time is winding down, people have been telling us, you’ve got to do this, or you simply can’t skip that, but we have to say that we just can’t!  When we get home, we are both wildly looking forward to having a weekend with nothing to do but catch up with friends, sleep in, take the aforementioned bath, and relax in our much-missed home

What would you miss about home if you were away for 4 months?


Here are a few pics from our weekend in the country.  We went to Goondiwindi and saw a commercial farm, swam in a dam, drove around, rode motor bikes, ate some great food with new friends and enjoyed every minute!  Isn't the sky so blue??!







No comments:

Post a Comment