Monday, February 11, 2013

11 Dollar Dinner...

On Saturday we had planned on trying to get out of the house, but when it came right down to it, we didn't feel like going anywhere, so I ran over to the store to get a few things and was trying to think of a nice dinner that would be reasonably priced.  I remembered that I had a recipe I had torn out of my mom's Good Housekeeping magazine that she left when my parents stopped on their way to Florida.  It was a recipe for couscous encrusted salmon.  I felt like trying it out on halibut instead, since we have had salmon a few times recently.

I grabbed 2 nice fillets of halibut for $4.80, 2 small packs of portabella mushrooms for $5, and a nice big fresh baked roll for 60 cents.  I already had the couscous and the pesto.  


I fried up the 'shrooms in a little olive oil, parsley, seasoned salt and garlic powder.  I wrapped the roll in aluminum foil and put it in the oven while the fish cooked.

And with the fish:

Preheat oven to 450
Heat 1 cup water in 1-qt saucepan to boiling on high.  Remove from heat, stir in 3/4 c. couscous, 1/4 c. refrigerated pesto, 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar and 1/8 tsp pepper.  Cover, let stand 5 min.
Place 4 fillets (it called for 4, I only had 2, so I just had leftover couscous) ~6 oz each on foil-lined cookie sheet.  Season with 1/4 tsp salt.  
Mound 1/2 c. couscous mixture on top of each fillet, pressing into even layer.
Bake in upper third of oven 12 to 15 min. or until fish is flaky.
Serves 4.

*As I was watching it cook, I was concerned it might be a little dry, so in the last maybe 8 minutes, I added 1/2 can of diced tomatoes and it was a nice bit of juiciness in the end.

It was scrumptous!!





No comments:

Post a Comment